Read the full article here: Bicycling.com/female-bike-riders-start-road-riding
Female Bike Riders: Start Road Riding
CHRISTINE FENNESSY X APRIL 30, 2010
Amanda Knackstedt is a foreign exchange broker who wants to start riding the road.
Name: Amanda Knackstedt
Occupation: Foreign-exchange broker
GOAL: Start riding a road bike Because Amanda is, she says, “chained to a desk nine hours a day” in a high-stress job, she figured road riding would be a great way to get fit and decompress. She’s right. The active, former college swimmer wants to join local training rides ranging from fast, weekday 20-milers to all-levels-welcome weekend rides that cover 30 to 60 miles on varied terrain. At 5-foot-8, she wonders if she’s too tall for a women’s bike. She has yet to find the right saddle, and clothing matters a lot to her–she likes organic, natural fibers, and she can’t be branded with funny tan lines when it’s time to wear a sleeveless dress to a power dinner.
Her Gear. Your Gear?
1. Litespeed Bella, $3,400. The lightweight titanium frame offers the stable handling and high performance Amanda is looking for, with a compliance over road bumps that won’t beat her up on long rides. The size large will fit her, and Litespeed offers an extra-large for even taller women.
2. Teko EcoMerino Wool Quarter Thin Socks, $16. Teko follows ecologically responsible farming and treatment processes, so its socks are as good for the environment as they are for your feet.
3. Terry Falcon X saddle, $85. This seat was an Editors’ Choice finalist; our testers liked its sensible padding and lightweight performance.
4. Ibex Classica road shorts, $95. This combination of a high-tech chamois and modern eight-panel design with old-school wool–cool in summer, warm in winter–is exactly what Amanda is after.
5. Descente Bliss top, $55. No funny farmer’s tan here. The Bliss fabric is luscious yet high tech, and the design of this top is cute yet functional, with a zippered pocket in back.
6. Giro Indicator Women’s helmet, $38. Ample venting and the simple Acu-Dial fit system make this lid right for any type of riding. Punch any of these products into our site search on Bicycling.com for a review, a list of similar products, or more information about the manufacturer.